Meet Yani, an engineer with idealistic dreams, who successfully turned his hobby into work after he graduated from Sutherland Tech Academy. He is now working as a Technical Support Engineer at one of our Enterprise projects. “During my time at the Academy I developed even more my tech skills and that made me feel more confident about technology.” shares Yani about his experience at the Tech Academy.
- Tell us what your position is and a few interesting facts about you.
I’m currently a Technical Support Engineer at one of the Enterprise projects at Sutherland for a company providing solutions for data backup and recovery. Most people find interesting about me that I can speak both German and English.
- Why did you decide to apply for the Sutherland Technical Academy?
I’ve been interested in tech since a very young age maybe I was about 8-9 years old, but I never worked in IT professionally. So, I thought that if Tom Sawyer can turn his hobby into work than why wouldn’t I as well?
- Tell us about the topics you covered during those 5 weeks. What technologies did you study?
We covered quite a lot of topics. From basics knowledge like networking and storage, through operating systems and server management all the way to modern technologies like clouds and virtualization with various OS (Windows 10, CentOS, RHEL). Of course, there was a lot of practice of the theory.
- What is the most important thing that you learned at the Academy?
The most important thing that I’ve learned is that it’s never late to join an academy like this and start following your passion.
- What was the biggest challenge that you faced?
Catching up with technologies like Active Directory and SAN. But at the end of the training, the satisfaction that you have overcome the challenge is more enjoyable than anything else.
- What was the teaching methodology that your trainer used?
We were mostly watching video trainings selected by our trainer, we did some lab exercises and recaps of the material we learned, as well.
- What was the atmosphere?
Calm and quiet. A perfect atmosphere in which you can acquire new knowledge.
- How do you feel now as part of the Enterprise team of Sutherland?
I couldn’t feel better. I got the chance to combine passion with work!
- Why would you recommend the Sutherland Tech Academy to your friends and colleagues?
I would recommend it, definitely! It helped me further develop my tech skills and made me feel more confident about technology.